No, not me. Remington is so angry all the time and I just don't know how to help him. I'm hoping someone who reads my blog may be able to give me some suggestions.
Those who don't know my son is 3 years old and is just starting to act out. Perhaps its just the "terrible 3's" but I have no idea. Here are some situations that we encounter:
When we talk to Rem sometimes he will just scream at us. Even if its a simple question like "how was your day"? He will scream NOOOOOO!!! All I can think is "Jeeze all I asked was how was your day". Blah!
He uses a lot of negative words/phases like:
- I Hate you
- I'm stupid
- I can't
He especially gets angry/frustrated when he doesn't know how to do something. Rem says "I can't, I'm stupid". I try to help him by helping him figure out but he just gets more frustrated and angry. He throws himself on the floor, you know a normal temper tantrum.
In all of this I worry about his self-esteem. I don't like hearing my little boy say that he is all these negative things. Or that he hates us. I know he loves us & we love him.
Any suggestions would be great? Has anyone else dealt with this?



4 comments:
We haven't really dealt with this, but last week at the library we checked out a fun book that relates. Its called "I'm gonna like me" by Jamie Lee Curtis. Its a really cute kids book about liking yourself all the time, even when things go a little wrong. HOpefully this resolves quickly! It can be fun for anyone to have him feeling that way.
I've thought that the terrible 3s are way worse than the 2s. Sorry. Sounds a lot like my Maddie. She is very stubborn and hates when she can't do something. I've found with her that it's best to leave her alone and let her figure it out on her own (like I'll leave a sheet of music on the piano and let her pound it out. If I sit down and try to help, she cries and yells). He probably is feeling like a "Big guy" now that he's potty trained and gets upset that he can't do EVERYTHING yet. We also just ignore their negative outbursts and focus on when they make good choices. Good luck!
After my daughter started using words like that we made sure to not let her watch any show that say words like stupid etc (don't think it's as easy to avoid hate).. and I also make sure I am extra careful not to use words like that around my kids either. So when they say things like that I tell them "we don't use those words". Other then that I think I've used time outs for name calling (not if they are calling themselves names). For that I would just constantly encourage him and praise him (over exaggerate)when he does things so he can build confidence.
Sounds just like Carson right now. He hates everything and everyone. I think it is jut the terrible terrible 3's. Carter went through a phase like this when he was that age. There is just so much going on for kids now that it is sometimes hard for them to deal with everything. Just let him chill when he is having those fits and things will get better. I keep telling myself that as well.
Post a Comment