Sunday, December 23, 2012

My miscarriage

I have had two pretty normal pregnancies so having a miscarriage was a big surprise to me.  I need to write everything down in hopes to remember it and so I can mourn my loss.

I found out I was pregnant on November 20th.  It was unexpected and definitely not planned.  We announced right away like we usually do.  My feelings are if I lose the pregnancy I would like the support of others to help me through.

I went to the doctor numerous times and my HCG levels were rising at a normal rate.  I did have an ultrasound the end of November but nothing could be detected.  We thought it was too early and it probably was.  Everything looked good so we scheduled a second ultrasound for December 20th in hopes to see our baby.

In December, I was very emotional because I wasn't ready for this baby.  I even told Nate I wish I weren't pregnant.  Now I feel guilty for the way I felt.  I was just overwhelmed with everything.  No I didn't cause it but still.  As the month went on I noticed my symptoms were very different with this pregnancy than any other.  I was extremely tired, nauseous but not to the point of throwing up, and got headaches all the time.  Not the symptoms I usually have.  I had a feeling something could of been wrong.

I went to my ultrasound on December 20th.  I got ready for my ultrasound.  My fears were confirmed.  No baby-- blighted ovum.  Basically it is when fertilized egg attaches itself to the uterine wall, but the embryo does not develop.  It is actually pretty common.

Dr. Crouch (best OB ever) told me my options.  Wait and miscarry at home, take a pill to speed up the miscarriage at home, or schedule an D&C.  Emotionally I couldn't handle the first two options.  I decided on the D&C.  I was scheduled for the very next day.

I was so scared about my D&C but I had the very best hospital staff available.  My doctor, the nurses, and anesthesiologist were awesome and did everything to calm my fears.  I was put asleep for the surgery and only felt a little uncomfortable after I woke up.  I was given some Demerol which helped.

The physical recovery hasn't been bad at all.  I've had c-sections and this no where compares to the pain of a c-section but of course at least you get a baby out of that (most of the time).

Now the emotional recovery has been a bit harder.  I told myself it was okay because there never really was a baby.  Yes, that is true.  I still get emotional about it.  I feel that I was pregnant for 8 weeks for nothing.  I don't know how long I will mourn this loss or how long it is normal to feel sad about it.  I try to cry about it alone so people don't see how sad and disappointed I am.

I feel like I lost a piece of me...

8 comments:

Veronica said...

Oh Jenni, I am sooooo sorry. I have been in your shoes and it's so difficult to convey your feelings about it. It's confusing and sad and just plain illogical! But time helps a lot. Hang in there! So many people know these feelings, and it does get better. I'm thinking about you! {{{HUGS}}}

Thora said...

Just remember that you are not alone in this. It's a highly personal kind of pain, but we are here loving you and hurting with you.
It takes time to get past it, and the oddest things will bring up memories. It's important to feel all of this.
Hugs

whitney said...

Oh, honey, I'm just so sorry. Don't beat yourself up. You feel the way you feel and you felt the way you felt in early December. You can't do anything about it, so just let the guilt go. (((hugs)))

Megan said...

Jenni, I had a friend last year who had a misscarriage and she said that you really do mourn because spiritually your heart was open to that baby. I will pray for you. You are an amazing daughter of God and you never cease to amaze me! Hopefully you can get a priesthood blessing and get some rest and enjoy your BEAUTIFUL little family during the holidays. But your reactions are TOTALLY appriaprate and normal and please dont feel bad about crying, mourning, etc.

Love Megan

FitNotQuitJess said...

I lost my baby girl after only 6 or 7 weeks...baby or "no baby" pregnancy is pregnancy it's a loss. Cry, it's ok. I still mourn the loss of my little girl (I wasn't far enough along, but I just know it was a girl) and it's been almost 4 years. Take your time, heal emotionally. Lean on those around you.
((HUGS))

Kristy said...

You don't know me, so this is probably weird--I found you through a friend of a friend (was intrigued by your blog title!). I just wanted to tell you how sorry I am about your miscarriage. I had one in August of this year, after 2-1/2 weeks of bed rest to try to stop a hemorrhage. I completely understand the "waste of time" feeling you are having! I hope that you let yourself mourn your loss, and that you take however long you need to. I was sad and thought it would never get any easier. But, over the past couple of months the pain has lessened and life has gone on for me. Good luck to you and your sweet family. :)
--Kristy

Jenni said...

What friend of a friend? I'm curious! Thanks for posting though.

Kristy said...

Oh man, it was either through the Mom, the Intern blog, or maybe the No More Mom Jeans blog? I can't remember who first clued me into those blogs, though! Blogland is such a tangled little web of acquaintances! :)