Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Thoughts about school...

I was going to start school again this semester, but financial aid took too long to go through so I either have to wait until next semester or just figure something else out.

I haven't written much about my school plans on my blog. I just didn't want to get all excited if things didn't work out. It looks like it will whatever I choose. Here are my options:

I'd like to do the Radiology program at WSU. It will take 3 years to finish because I need to do some prerequisites and then apply to the program in January 2010. When I am done with the program the pay range is $40,000 - 50,000 a year. Sounds nice, doesn't it? Oh and also, I will do the program at home! Major plus. Once I get more into the program, I will be doing hands on training at a local hospital; hopefully the one just a mile from my home.

The only problem if I run into with the Radiology program is that it will take 3 years. What if I get pregnant between then and now? It may take even longer since most of you know I don't have the easiest pregnancies ever.

I do have a plan B. I've thought about going back to school to be a Medical Assistant. That will take me about 7-12 months to finish. The pay will be around $20,000- 30,000. I know quite a bit less, but less schooling. I'd also probably be done by the time I would get pregant again. The only problem is that I'd have to drive to campus in AF which is 40 minutes away and figure out daycare for Remington.

I'd love to get other peoples thoughts and feelings on this. Its so hard to plan school around life.

7 comments:

Amy said...

Hard? Yes. Worth it? Yes.

It's so difficult to make everything work out, but I know you'll be capable in whatever you decide to do.

It sounds to me like you're more excited about the radiology thing. Even if it takes 5 years, I'd bet you still love it. And things like this have a way of working themselves out. I say go for your dreams, whatever they are!

Anonymous said...

Wow, the radiology thing seems much more worth it than the medical assisting thing, IMHO, at least financially. Even if it takes you years to get it, it sounds like you're more interested in it, and that it would be more lucrative an investment in the long run.

Either way, it's up to you! Do what makes you feel happy!

Fredricka said...

I lean towards the radiology classes, too. I think you should do what makes you feel happy, but.... expect changes no matter what you do.

If a baby comes, it will just delay things a bit.

Have I mention that I love your backdrop for your blog?

FitNotQuitJess said...

Whichever you chose I am sure you will make it work. I know we haven't seen eachother in AGES but I don't live too far from American Fork, if you have to go on campus for medical assistant you can bring Rem by my house. I'm sure him and Jerimiah would get along great and it would be great to see you occasionally.

ANYWAY, if it were me I would probably choose ma just because it would be a suppliment to our current income and not our ONLY income, plus I'm not a huge fan of school. BUT, again, whatever you chose I am sure you will make it work! Good luck.

Heidi said...

Life has a funny way of always working out. Even if it takes awhile for us to realize that things did in fact work out. Do what makes you and Nate happy.

Jenn said...

I say put in the effort and go with Plan A, even if it ends up taking more than 3 years.

Robin said...

I don't know you, but I always feel bad for people that spend $20k to $30k on those "career college" places, when the job they study for pays like $10/hr. If you are going to devote that much time and money get an RN and make $60k (my mom is a nurse and that's what she makes). I went to UVSC (as did she) and got a bachelors with only $6000 of debt. I'd be wary of those specialty colleges and check out some state colleges instead. Way cheaper and more impressive on a resume.